US President Donald Trump said on Monday (Aug 25) that he expects to visit China later this year or shortly afterwards, noting that economic ties between the two countries have improved — even as he left open the possibility of imposing steeper tariffs.
Speaking in Washington alongside South Korean President Lee Jae Myung, Trump highlighted recent discussions with Chinese President Xi Jinping. “At some point, probably during this year or shortly thereafter, we’ll go to China,” he told reporters, adding: “We’re going to have a great relationship with China.”
Trump cautioned, however, that the US still holds significant leverage. “They have some cards. We have incredible cards, but I don’t want to play those cards. If I played those cards, that would destroy China,” he said.
Relations between the world’s two largest economies have been strained this year, following a series of escalating tariffs imposed by both sides. At their peak, tit-for-tat duties reached triple digits, disrupting global supply chains as importers delayed shipments in anticipation of a resolution.
Since April, however, tensions have eased. Washington and Beijing agreed to de-escalate, with the US reducing tariffs to 30 percent and China lowering its duties to 10 percent. Still, Trump warned that tariffs could rise again if Beijing failed to meet its commitments.
“They have to give us magnets,” he said, referring to rare earths vital to the automotive, electronics, and defense industries. “If they don’t give us magnets, then we have to charge them a 200 percent tariff or something. But we’re not going to have a problem, I don’t think, with that.”
The truce remains fragile, with Washington previously accusing Beijing of violating the deal and delaying export licenses for rare earths. Nonetheless, both sides agreed earlier this month to extend the pause on higher tariffs for another 90 days, keeping steeper duties on hold until November 10.